About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Things I want my Daughters to Know - Elizabeth Noble

Things I want my daughters to know is a tear-jerking novel about Barbara Forbes, a mother of four, who is battling terminal cancer and decides to write a journal for her four daughters. In the year following Barbara's death, her daughters draw strength from her words and from each other as they move forward with their lives. Lisa, the eldest, is advised to "let someone look after her for a change. Jennifer, "fragile and hard to reach," struggles with an unraveling marriage. Free-spirited Amanda is thrown for a loop by a family secret, and teenage Hannah, experiencing her first taste of rebellion, is reminded that she still has a lot of growing up to do.

Elizabeth Noble is a fantastic writer, and if you haven’t read her other best seller The Reading Group, then I advise you to also pick this one up. She has a fantastic writing style. The characters and story are painted perfectly so that by the end of the book you feel like you have known the characters for years and are on their journey with them.

The story line is a sad but hopeful story, and to be honest while reading this book I did actually pick up the phone and ring my own mother just to say ‘Hi’ and ‘I love you’. And while the main story point is based on a sad event, Elizabeth Noble makes sure to include her humour in as well.

I definitely would recommend this book as a great weekend read, but make sure you keep the tissues handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment