About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Handbags and Gladrags - Maggie Alderson

Emily Pointer seemingly has it all--a job as a stylist for the hot British magazine Chic, a killer wardrobe, trips to glamorous locales, and a cosmopolitan husband. So why is she jeopardizing it all for an affair with a roguish Australian photographer? Perhaps because everything's not as it seems on the surface. Emily and her husband have a relationship based more on how they look together than how they feel about each other. Emily's superficiality and her ambivalence about her infidelity initially make her a very unsympathetic character. But, after a somewhat inauspicious introduction, she begins to change--coming to terms with her tumultuous childhood and reexamining her shallow lifestyle.

If you look on other book website, this book averages a 3.5 out of 5 rating. Maybe it’s because I read such a wide variety of books, that I actually really enjoyed reading something that was light-hearted and easy to read for a change.

I thought the writing style was great, the characters were believable and suited the storyline, the story itself moved at a great pace and not once did I find myself getting bored with it, and the writing was so casually descriptive that I could imagine everything perfectly, without getting annoyed or bored with tonnes of words to describe one item or setting. And even though I don't closely follow the fashion world, I could still keep up with what was going on in the story.

It was a great story and one I enjoyed floating away to – and it had the perfect mix of fashion, backstabbing, name-dropping and hot sexy moments (without going in to too much detail that it made me feel like I was reading a men’s magazine)

If you are looking for a humerous, light-hearted easy chic story then this one is for you. I would even go as far to say I would probably put it in the pile of books I would read again at some point. Loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment