About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Lady of Bolton Hill - Elizabeth Camden

Female journalists are rare in 1879, but American-born Clara Endicott has finally made a name for herself with her provocative articles championing London's poor. When the backlash from her work forces a return home to Baltimore, Clara finds herself face-to-face with a childhood sweetheart who is no longer the impoverished factory worker she once knew. 

In her absence, Daniel Tremain has become a powerful industry giant and Clara finds him as enigmatic as ever. However, Daniel's success is fueled by resentment from past wounds and Clara's deeply-held beliefs about God's grace force Daniel to confront his own motives. When Clara's very life is endangered by one of Daniel's adversaries, they must face a reckoning neither of them ever could have foreseen.

I have mixed feelings about this book after reading it. Overall I did enjoy the storyline, it was easy to ready, had twists and drama in the right places, and had characters that were vivid, even if they were a little unrealistic at times. 

There are two things that bring let this book down for me. The first is that it wasn't until halfway through that I realised it was a Christian book. Now to be fair it wasn't as 'preachy' as it could have potentially been, although there were times towards the end when the same bible quote was repeated over and over again, and that got a little repetitive. 

But the main reason the book lost points from me is that the main antagonist in this book changed from being a hardened opium dealer criminal, to a born-again christian in a matter of days and after only a few short conversations with the main heroine he completely changed his life. I have not been in the situation where I have been convinced to change my opinion on religion, but I really doubt it would happen so quickly. To make this story more realistic I would have hinted at Bane's wishes to change his lifestyle rather than him saying how much he enjoyed it and wanted to climb up the criminal ladder.

Overall the story wasn't too bad, but not one I would rave about and highly recommend. There are far better writers out there that I would rather read more from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment