About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer

“Why didn't I learn to treat everything like it was the last time. My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future.” 

Nine-year-old Oskar Schell has embarked on an urgent, secret mission that will take him through the five boroughs of New York. His goal is to find the lock that matches a mysterious key that belonged to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on the morning of September 11. This seemingly impossible task will bring Oskar into contact with survivors of all sorts on an exhilarating, affecting, often hilarious, and ultimately healing journey.

This book was so full of different emotions it was hard for me to keep track at times what I was supposed to be feeling.

Sometimes it made me feel confused and sometimes it took me a few sentences to realise who the letter I was reading was from, or to understand the Grandparents relationship. Sometimes it made me laugh when I read some of the crazy thoughts that came in to Oskar's mind and his interesting view of the world and how things (should) work. Sometimes it made me really sad to read some of the parts about 9/11, and then in the next sentence it would be back to quirky when telling me about some of the characters that Oskar was meeting in New York on his mission to find the lock that fit the key.

It isn't going to be a book that appeals to everyone as the writing style, although very clever, witty and engaging, could sometimes get a little confusing when trying to follow the thought process of Oskar and the Grandma, but once you get used to it you are taken on an almost magical (but realistic) journey that you can't help but want to tag along on. I can't wait to see the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment