About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts



“You can kill a man with those words.
No gun. 
No bullets. 
Just words and a girl.” 

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?

I found it really hard to make my mind up on my final opinion of this book. Part of me thinks I should wait a couple of days before trying to write this review, but I don't have enough time to ponder too long, and I'm keen to move on to my next book

I really liked the characters and the overall theme of the book. 
It was an interesting idea, being delivered mystery cards that help out strangers, but I found a few of them a bit too wishy washy - the message wasn't that clear and I expected something more from the outcome. The characters felt ''gritty' but I found that a nice change from the sparkly heroes in other thrillers, it made them feel a bit more real life.

I think the two areas where I come unstuck is the flow of the writing, and the ending. I can't put my finger on it, but something just didn't work for me and when I finished it, I just felt a little underwhelmed. The writing is very lyrical, so maybe I'm missing something as nearly every other reviewer has raved about it, but the final 2 sentences just really annoyed me.

Overall, I'm glad I read it - I have a feeling it will be one of those books that linger in the back of my mind for a little while while I keep trying to figure out how I feel about it. It's a smallish book, it only took me a few days to read, so if you aren't happy with it then at least you wouldn't have wasted too much time on it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment