About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Monday, June 22, 2015

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler, Maira Kalman (Illustrator)

“There are so many movies like this, where you thought you were smarter than the screen but the director was smarter than you, of course he's the one, of course it was a dream, of course she's dead, of course, it's hidden right there, of course it's the truth and you in your seat have failed to notice in the dark.” 

Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped. 

At the beginning  I thought Ed was a jerk, then as the story unravelled, I became completely enamoured with their blossoming love.  Even though they are so different, their love was so sweet. 

I honestly didn't see the ending coming. I mean, I know the title kind of gives away the ending anyway, but I was so engrossed with the love that I forgot to try and figure out the real reason they broke up. And I was surprised! That so rarely happens to me, I'm usually really good at picking what's going to happen before I finish the first paragraph.

The whole jock-falls-for-nerdy-girl has been done so so many times before (I'm thinking fondly of Freddie Prince Jnr in 'She's all that')  but I've never read it from this perspective. Usually they both are able to overcome their massive differences and have a happy ending walking off into the sunset, but this is a detailed look into why it couldn't work, item by item. We all have a few relationship relics lurking around the house somewhere, things you just can't bring yourself to throw away, that have strong memories of a failed relationship tied to it.  

The writing is really very clever. The banter between the characters is very witty and intelligent for teenagers, but it just works. There were even a few one-liners that made me chuckle out aloud. I wanted to check out a few of the musicians and films that Min referenced throughout the book, and they were all made up! They were written so well that it was so believable - another reason why Handler is a talented writer.

It's not a very long book - I finished it in a single weekend - but I would read it again, and would recommend it to most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment