About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Elegies for the Brokenhearted by Christie Hodgen

But, what did I really have to do with you, and you with me? We were two people around the same age, growing up in the same failing city, walking the same streets under the same clouds, nothing much. Except to say that once, without knowing it, you did something that changed my life entirely. With the smallest gesture you altered the course of my life, split it in two, and I haven't been able to think of you without feeling a stab, the question of what might have become of me if you had done otherwise.



Who are the people you’ll never forget? For Mary Murphy, there are five: A skirt-chasing, car-racing uncle with whiskey breath and a three-day beard. A “walking joke, a sitting duck, a fish in a barrel” named Elwood LePoer. A dirt-poor college roommate who conceals an unbearable secret. A failed piano prodigy lost in middle age. A beautiful mother haunted by her once-great aspirations.

In five quirky elegies to lost friends and relatives, Mary tells us the story of her life. We begin with a restless childhood spent following her mother between multiple homes and husbands. Then comes the disappearance of Mary’s rebellious and beloved sister, Malinda. By the time Mary leaves for college, she has no one to write home to, and we follow along on her difficult search for purpose. From a series of miserable jobs to her “reborn” mother’s deathbed, Mary finds hope in the most surprising places. With a rhythmically unique voice and pitch-perfect wry humor, Christie Hodgen spins an unconventional and moving story about identity, belonging, and family.

Whoa this book was amazing! I want to read it again, and I want to tell everyone I know about it!

It really was very clever in the way it was put together. It painted such a clear picture of the main character, Mary Murphy, without making it really seem all about her as the main focus.

All of the elegies were written so well, but my favourite was the last chapter and how it tied everything together so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment