About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Sleeping Around: A Couch Surfing Tour Of The Globe by Brian Thacker

Everyone else on the table immediately began taking part in a rapid-fire conversation where the only words I could understand were 'si' and 'no'. 
'What are they talking about?' I asked Juan (who, other than Luis Alfredo, was the only one who spoke English). 'They are talking about what's happening on the TV show Lost'. 
Yes, it really is a small sad world sometimes.


What sort of person offers up their couch to a complete stranger from the other side of the world? And how can said stranger be sure that the owner of the couch is not a weirdo? This title sets out on a couch surfing tour of the globe to discover how and why kipping on someone's floor has become the hippest way to travel.

In an age of cheap airfares and porous boarders, where almost every corner of the globe, from Azerbaijan to Zambia, is open for tourism, going in to someone's home is probably the last authentic travelling experience. - Brian Thacker


I had this book on my kindle to read for a few years now. I was hesitating because I didn't want it to make me jealous about all the travelling I'm not doing at the moment. I finally opened it when I was in the mood for a book that would take me everywhere, and I'm glad I did because it was exactly what I was looking for.

Couch-surfing sounds like a fantastic way to see new places, and I'm sorry that I didn't know about the websites used in the book in my 20's so I could have had a go at it too! I feel like I wouldn't be a very good couch guest now because 1) I don't think I'd be able to drink enough anymore; 2) I'm not used to 'roughing' it anymore. I like my 5-star hotels (ok, 4 star is usually within my budget) and comfy king sized bed; and 3) although I haven't checked, I don't know if many of the hosts on there would like a whole family including an energetic toddler, coming to stay. 

Thacker's journey sounded fun and interesting, and the writing describing his travels was witty, just like yo'd expect from an Aussie. I googled most of the places visited, to see what he was describing, and I have now added Siquijor, Phillipines, to my wanderlust wish list!

One thing really stood out for me reading about his experience, how globalised the world is coming - it sounds like global brands have made it to even the far reaching places - the same TV shows, fast-food restaurants, and clothing brands pop up almost everywhere.

I enjoyed this book, almost enough to make me consider hosting travelling guests once my child is a bit older and less likely to disturb guests sleep (for those who aren't already out partying).

Read my review on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment