About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Wedding Gift - Kathleen McKenna

Leann wasn’t good enough for her upper-crust in-laws, so they gave her the mansion none of them wanted. Years ago, something or someone in the house killed Leann’s brother. Will its violent secrets kill her next?“ . . . a spine-electrifying supernatural tale where a huge Southern States mansion contains one of the most terrifying, violent and indeed psychopathic ghosts to haunt any town. It is also a murder mystery—why did Robina Willets apparently kill all five of her young children, and her husband, before stabbing herself to death? And, if you are in the camp of believing that 'Justice . . . just is not,' then this will have you frothing at the mouth with righteous social fury.

Getting this book on sale from Amazon (Kindle) for 99c, I had low expectations as surely they wouldn't be practically GIVING away a book if it was really any good, right??
So I was pleasantly  surprised to discover that not only was the book actually pretty good, I was fast becoming hooked to it!

My first thought was that I wasn't going to be able to finish reading it as I thought I would find the Southern style dialogue too distracting, but now looking back after I have finished reading it I can see how this actually added to the magic of the story. 

You may be forgiven from thinking that this is going to be a story about love, which isn't strictly untrue, but there is so much drama and mystery going on that I didn't expect. 

I can't really comment on whether the characters a true to form in those parts as I have never experienced this part of America first hand, but I do know that I didn't find them ridiculous or frustrating like some other reviewers did. 

I would definitely recommend this book for those who like both love stories or murder mysteries, all in all a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment