About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fifty Shades Freed - E.L. James

When unworldly student Ana Steele first encountered the driven, damaged young entrepreneur Christian Grey, it sparked a sensual affair that changed both their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and ultimately repelled by Christian's singular sexual tastes, Ana demanded a deeper commitment; determined to keep her, Christian agreed. Now, together, they have more-love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of infinite possibilities. But Ana always knew that loving her Fifty Shades would not be easy and being together poses challenges neither of them ever anticipated. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian's opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own integrity, identity, or independence; Christian must somehow overcome his compulsion to control and lay to rest the horrors that blighted his past and haunt his present. Just when it seems that together their love can conquer any obstacle, tragedy, malice and fate combine to make Ana's worst nightmares come true.

So now I have finally finished the third (and thankfully final) book in the fifty series. As with the last book, I have mixed feelings about it. The way I look at it, it was a light girly read, but not something I would ever dream would receive the hype that it has. I bet the author is laughing all the way to the bank with that one!

The main thing that confused me about the whole series, is that I don't understand why women are so in love with Christian Grey. Sure he is rich and really really ridiculously good looking, but honestly, if I had a girlfriend who was dating a guy like him in the 'real world' I would try my hardest to convince her everyday to leave the jerk. Seriously, what woman would want someone so controlling and dominating? Sure he loves her a lot and they obviously have passion, but I don't know anyone who would put up with their partner not letting them see their friends. But seeing as this is a 'pretend world' I will go along believing that everything is hunky dory and that it isn't weird at all.

Another pet hate with the series is that the sex got really boring and repetitive towards the end. I actually got sick of reading part of it as I felt like I had read it all before. It's all about quality not quantity Mr James.

All in all I am glad I read it, but I am very happy that there were only 3 books and I don't have to read any more. Would I recommend it to a friend? Sure, if they are looking for something easy that doesn't take much effort to read - but I would warn them not get swept up in all the hype.



No comments:

Post a Comment