About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Monday, October 1, 2012

Every Day - David Levithan

“I wake up thinking of yesterday. The joy is in remembering; the pain is in knowing it was yesterday.” 

Every day a different body.
 
Every day a different life.
Every day in love with the same girl. 

Every morning, A wakes in a different person’s body, a different person’s life. There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere. 

And then A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day. 

Can you love someone who is destined to change each day? 

David Levithan brings all his trademark insight to a novel that is edgy, romantic and page-turning. Every Day has a touch of the paranormal and a grounding in the real world. 

This was such an interesting topic for a book and David Levithan writes it so well. I have read a couple of books by him before (10 Things I Hate About You, The Lover's Dictionary), but this book makes me want to have a Levithan-athon and I will be looking up more from him I enjoyed it that much. 

Despite the rave reviews it has received online (Amazon and Goodreads) I started reading it with low to medium expectations -  I thought it might be a bit tooYoung Adult-ish for my liking, but I found that after the first couple of chapters I was hooked and when I was at work I couldn't wait to get back on the train so I could find out whose body A entered next. It is very maturely written for a Young Adult literature and I think that is why it has been so popular - it doesn't segregate it's audience.

The characters were so well written, It was great to get a glimpse of so many different lives and I felt like each was portrayed justly and they stopped short of being over-dramatised or over-written, which could have been easy to do it there wasn't any substance.

Loved this book, I'm usually a hard marker but this one deserves a 5 in my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment