About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

Jennifer Weiner's rich, witty, true-to-life "New York Times" bestselling novel tells the story of three very different women as they navigate one of life's most wonderful and perilous transitions: the journey of new motherhood.Becky is a plump, sexy chef who has a wonderful husband and baby girl, a restaurant that's received citywide acclaim -- and the mother-in-law from hell. Kelly is an event planner who's struggling to balance work and motherhood while dealing with an unemployed husband who seems content to channel-surf for eight hours a day. And Ayinde's basketball superstar husband breaks her trust at her most vulnerable moment, putting their new family even more in the public eye. Then there's Lia, a Philadelphia native who has left her Hollywood career behind, along with her husband and a tragic secret, to start her life all over again.

From prenatal yoga to postbirth sex, "Little Earthquakes" is a frank, funny, fiercely perceptive take on the comedies and tragedies of love and marriage.

Not being a Mum myself, I basing this opinion on what others have told me, but I really enjoyed reading this book because to me, it gave a me more of a 'real' insight in to what I think motherhood would really be like - the good, the bad, and the hilariously terrifying! It also focuses on how important it is to have a good group of friends around to laugh (or cry) with and to help you get through.

The characters felt real to me and  it was written in a way that the drama, or conflict, wasn't  overdramatised like some chick-lit books can do, and although the ending saw all of those conflicts resolved, it wasn't in a way that felt fake or unrealistic.

I enjoyed reading this book much more than "What to expect when you're expecting" and felt that I had a more in-depth connection with the characters and storyline. I think this is a book any woman would enjoy reading no matter what your relationship status or stage of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment