About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

'The thing about being catapulted into a whole new life - or at least shoved up so hard against someone else's life that you might as well have your face pressed against their window - is that it forces you to rethink your idea of who you are. Or how you might seem to other people.'

 Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.


WOW.  
When I first started reading this book I thought I had it all figured out. They'd meet, fall in love, he'd have a new outlook on life and they would live happily ever after. I wasn't even close.

By the time I was halfway through the book I was absolutely hooked. I would start reading and forget I was on the train on my way to work, people beside me would vanish and I would magically be standing in the 'annex' watching their conversations happen in front of me.
I found myself thinking about the story when I was at work and trying to figure out where it was really heading, and I was actually a little sad when I had to stop reading to work. Additionally, this is the first time in a loooong time that I have actually cried while reading a book, and from the looks of others reviews, I was not alone!

I agree with other reviews that have commented about the deceiving cover - it gives a totally different image of what style the book really is - from the outside it looks like a light and fluffy love story, but that is definitely not the case, there is a lot more substance to it than that.

I think the best way to describe this book is a cross between Marian Keyes and Jodi Picoult, a cheekily written novel that actually looks at a controversial issue and shows the grey areas. Lovers of both author styles (Keyes and Picoult) will love this book by Jojo Moyes, guaranteed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment