About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson

“Life is such a miracle, a series of small miracles.It really is, if you learn how to look at it with the right perspective.” 

“Good memories are like charms...Each is special. You collect them, one by one, until one day you look back and discover they make a long, colorful bracelet.” 


Katie Wilkinson has finally found the perfect man - but one day he suddenly disappears, leaving behind only a diary written by a new mother named Suzanne for her baby, Nicholas. In it she intimately reveals the romance between herself and the child's father, her hopes for their marriage, and her unparalleled joy in motherhood. As Katie reads on, she realizes that the man she loves is Suzanne's husband. Now, filled with terror and hope, Katie must struggle to understand what has happened - and find out if her new love has a prayer of surviving. 

I'm finding it really hard to write this review because at the moment it is even in the pros and cons columns  for me, so I'm hoping that by writing it all down it will help me see where I come out at the end...

I read this book completely in only 2 sittings, I think that might be a new record for me?? But early on I was hooked  - what it lacks in length it makes up for with it's ability to make you feel something (I dare even the hardest heart to not be mode by this storyline). I cried like a baby when I found out at the end the little boy was in the car, as new Mum myself I honestly can't imagine a worse feeling to go through as a parent, which is why I struggled so much with the ending. 

The blurb on the back was a little melodramatic with the call "and find out if her new love has a prayer of surviving." It makes it sound like there will be a big ending, but in truth it all felt a little rushed. I needed a bit more of an explanation from Matt as to where he went when he disappeared and how he finally was able to manage his grief.

One thing the book does very well is give you a reminder about what is important in life, and that life is a gift so you shouldn't take it for granted. I'm going to try and remind myself regularly of the story of the glass balls.

“Imagine life is a game in which you are juggling five balls. The balls are called work, family, health, friends, and integrity. And you're keeping all of them in the air. But one day you finally come to understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. The other four balls...are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered. And once you truly understand the lesson of the five balls, you will have the beginnings of balance in your life.” 

So I guess overall I enjoyed this book and am glad I read it, but it doesn't make it to the top of my 'Best Books Ever' list and I would be very selective as to which friends I would recommend this book to.

No comments:

Post a Comment