About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Monday, February 22, 2016

The Memory Of Running by Ron McLarty

“Is that possible? I said.
All things, all things are possible. What do you think your bike ride says? People would say "Is that possible?" Of course you know it is, now.”

Every decade seems to produce a novel that captures the public's imagination with a story that sweeps readers up and takes them on a thrilling, unforgettable ride.

Ron McLarty's The Memory of Running is this decade's novel. By all accounts, especially his own, Smithson "Smithy" Ide is a loser. An overweight, friendless, chain-smoking, forty-three-year-old drunk, Smithy's life becomes completely unhinged when he loses his parents and long-lost sister within the span of one week.

Rolling down the driveway of his parents' house in Rhode Island on his old Raleigh bicycle to escape his grief, the emotionally bereft Smithy embarks on an epic, hilarious, luminous, and extraordinary journey of discovery and redemption.

I was a fair few chapters in before I felt connected to the story and where it was going, but once I did, I was enchanted by the idea. Imagine hopping on a bike drunk with no plan, then riding for about 2 months, only letting circumstances and the people you meet along the way influence you. I really wish I could do it!

I loved watching each character unfold. Initially they seem a little rough around the edges, but as the story went on, I saw a little deeper into their character and I really felt for them and their hardships in life - but then in the next paragraph I'd be chuckling to myself at or something they said or that happened. It reminded me of the saying "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about". 

I liked how both the best and the worst of life was shown throughout this story. It wasn't too sweet to stomach but it didn't depress me either - I felt like this could be one of those amazing true stories that you hear about every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment