About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence

In life, there are no true beginnings or endings. Events flow into each other, and the more you try to isolate them in a container, the more they spill over the sides, like canal-water breaching its artificial banks. A related point is that the things we label 'beginnings' and 'endings' are often, in reality, indistinguishable. They are one and the same thing. This is one of the things the Death card symbolizes in tarot - an end that is also a new beginning.” 


A rare meteorite struck Alex Woods when he was ten years old, leaving scars and marking him for an extraordinary future. The son of a fortune teller, bookish, and an easy target for bullies, Alex hasn't had the easiest childhood. 
But when he meets curmudgeonly widower Mr. Peterson, he finds an unlikely friend. Someone who teaches him that that you only get one shot at life. That you have to make it count. 
So when, aged seventeen, Alex is stopped at customs with 113 grams of marijuana, an urn full of ashes on the front seat, and an entire nation in uproar, he's fairly sure he's done the right thing ...
Introducing a bright young voice destined to charm the world,The Universe Versus Alex Woods is a celebration of curious incidents, astronomy and astrology, the works of Kurt Vonnegut and the unexpected connections that form our world. 


Thanks to the blurb and the first chapter, I kept expecting Alex to have super powers or abilities after his accident, but it turns out that The Universe Verses Alex Woods was simply just a story about a boy. I don't necessarily mean this in a bad way, it's just that because I was preparing myself for a bit more drama it took me a while to get into the rhythm of the story and adjust to the characters speed.

I wouldn't consider this a young adult novel. Again, I'm going to blame my misguided impressions because from the cover image and the blurb I thought it sounded like it had all the makings of a dark twisted real life Harry Potter, so I was genuinely surprised when the story talked about suicide and the ethics around euthanasia. 

The writing is really good so I'm not disappointed I kept reading, but in hindsight it probably wouldn't be on the top of my list to read again, it just wasn't what I was in the mood to read at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment