About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Elegant Art of Falling Apart by Jessica Jones

"After cancer, every gift seems like a treasure. Every day is special. Some are simply magical."

Inspiring, unflinchingly honest, and laugh out loud hilarious, The Elegant Art of Falling Apart shows us how, sometimes, we have to lose everything to understand that the moment is all we have. And living that moment with style, grace and a damn good lipstick is all that matters.

Jessica Jones had a complicated life. Booze, cocaine, bad boyfriends – it was a rollercoaster ride of what self help writers call ‘opportunities for growth’ But she got way from all that. She rebuilt her career, became prosperous and, at last, found happiness in a wonderful, new relationship. 

Just when things were almost perfect... she learned that she had breast cancer. Jessica did what she’s always done, she got through it. After seven months of gruelling treatments she travelled from London to Sydney to begin a three-month holiday of a lifetime with her gorgeous man - only to find herself plunged into a different, and totally unexpected, life crisis. 

A story of courage, friendship and laughter that gives us hope that, no matter what, we can always start again.


Its been a few weeks since I finished reading this book, and although I've been busy, I was also putting off writing down my thoughts on this book because when it comes to Memoirs, I really don't like to seem too critical. It must take so much guts to write down your personal story, especially when you can't hide behind a fictional character/setting.

When I first started reading this book, I thought it was going to be one of those books that I just had to tell my girlfriends to read - it was raw, inspiring and important. But somewhere along the way I lost touch with the author and I couldn't relate to her personality as much - even though I have never had depression, an addiction OR cancer. Maybe it is through my own fault and I was shying away from the harsh truth of depression, but I just couldn't relate to her 'love addiction' and the fact that she was struggling so much to let go of what seemed like such a toxic relationship. To me that overshadowed the positive way she seemed to tackle her cancer treatment. 

But overall, I think this book would be helpful for someone who has a close friend or family member diagnosed with cancer and going through treatment, and even to someone healthy who just wants a reminder not to take that fact for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment