About Me

Australia
A self confessed bookworm. I needed a place to debrief after reading, so here it is!

Monday, March 26, 2012

Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell

If you want a picture of the future, imaging a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

Written in 1948, 1984 was George Orwell's chilling prophecy about the future. And while 1984 has come and gone, Orwell's narrative is timelier than ever. 1984 presents a startling and haunting vision of the world, so powerful that it is completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the power of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of multiple generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions a legacy that seems only to grow with the passage of time.



This book is a little more intense than the style of books I usually go for, but after seeing it listed on the "Books you must read before you die" and seeing so many strong reviews for it, I thought it was one I should definitely make time to read.

I had to read A Brave New World in high school and even today I still thoroughly enjoy that book. To me, Nineteen Eighty Four is the next level of extreme when compared to A Brave New World, and although I really enjoyed George Orwells writing style and the overall theme of the book, I think that a lot of the intellectual political notes went over my head.

To fully understand and appreciate this book you need to be able to give it 100% concentration for the whole time you are reading it, and at time I struggled with doing that as I found myself skim-reading over the extreme political jargon (i.e. when Winston was reading The Book).

I did enjoy the book, and while it is one of the most thought-provoking books I have read, I wouldn't read it again, nor recommend it to someone unless they specifically enjoyed this genre of book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment